Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Winter Walk


There is a small forest that borders the boys' elementary school.  Each winter the children make lanterns in art class, and on one snowy night, the lanterns are set out all along the trail through the woods for a walk from 7 to 8 p.m.  Last year Aunt Leslie took the boys, and they had a wonderful time.  I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about until I went for the first time tonight.  It was magical.  There were over 400 lanterns, each lit with a candle, glowing in the snow along either side of a long winding trail.  I kept trying to take pictures of it, but the flash ruined the affect and without the flash you can hardly see anything at all.  I wish I could have captured it for you, but here's the best I could do. This is with the flash:


This is without the flash:



And did I mention that after the walk there was a smorgasborg of free cookies and hot chocolate in the multi-purpose room?  We were especially smitten by the chocolate chunk variety (don't tell Healthy Potato Girl that I said that).

Now I understand why Adam has been saying that he would like us to have one more baby so that we can keep going to the winter walk.  He is afraid that when our family runs out of elementary school students we won't be able to go any more.  Adam, if you're reading this, I want you to know that Dad and I are planning to do the winter walk every year from now on, as long as we live in Ann Arbor, whether we have another baby or not. 

5 comments:

The Rackleys said...

It was a great walk! I'm glad we got to walk together.

Kate Hansen said...

That sounds amazing! What a fun memory for you kids.

EFN Newsletter said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. Now that we're coming back maybe we can add it too our list of fun things to do...

Janie said...

Ok, you have convinced me that next year I will venture out for the winter walk. I just didn't think I wanted to walk around in a forest at night in 10 degree weather. But, you changed my mind. Thanks!

.............................. said...

Sound beautiful. I wish we could have gone with you guys.