Saturday, April 30, 2011

Goldilocks

Am I the only person that is bothered EVERY SINGLE TIME they read Goldilocks and the Three Bears?  First of all, why would anyone walk into another person's house?  I'm afraid to knock on a stranger's door, much less try the knob and let myself in.  Reflecting back on what I learned in abnormal psychology this semester, I'm concerned that Goldi could be on her way to a full-blown case of antisocial personality disorder.  Rules?  Societal conventions?  These things mean nothing to her.

Next.  If Papa Bear's bowl is the biggest, why is his porridge cold?  That makes no sense.  The porridge in the smallest bowl should cool off the fastest, then the medium bowl, and then the biggest bowl.  Papa's porridge, which is always depicted in a giant bowl, should be the hot one, Mama's medium-sized bowl should be just right, and Baby Bear's tiny bowl should be the cold one.

And does Goldilocks weigh that much more than Baby Bear?  I honestly can't imagine a human child being harder on a chair than a bear cub.  I sit on the small chairs at my children's preschool all the time, and I am quite a bit heavier than Goldilocks, and they have never broken, especially not all to pieces.

What do you think of Papa and Mama having separate beds, hmm?  I used to worry about that, but now that I'm not even sharing a room with my spouse, I guess I'd better accept the fact that if one spouse likes a rock hard mattress and the other prefers the sensation of being buried alive, having separate beds makes a lot of sense.  What does not make sense is that, in so many versions of this story, Baby Bear's bed is right there by Papa's and Mama's.  No wonder the little guy has no siblings.

4 comments:

Kami said...

Maybe Papa Bear's bowl is really big, but really shallow and the larger surface area lets his bowl cool the fastest? Or maybe Mama Bear filled his bowl first and so it's the coolest.

I don't know.

I don't like Goldilocks, either.

Lybi said...

Hahahahaha! Love it. I've never ever come close to even considerring any of these things, other than that Goldilocks sure did seem to lack good judgement.

LL said...

Laughed out loud! Thanks. :-)

Suzanne said...

I've wondered those things too!